Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Teacher Gifts {Halloween Simmering Spices}


 For Halloween this year I wanted to create something simple for the teachers and staff at my children's school. Now that I have 2 kids in school full time, the amount of teachers add up quickly.  So keeping it fun, personal and affordable is key!



I chose to make simmering spice packets.   I did these a couple of years ago, and they were a huge hit with the teachers.  One they said they wanted again!  

I've created a tutorial so that you can create the same things for your friends or family.  These could be used for Thanksgiving, and even Christmas.  Enjoy!

You will need the following supplies:
  • Fresh Oranges
  • Fresh Lemons
  • Cinnamon Sticks
  • Whole Cloves
  • Whole Allspice
  • Ground Nutmeg
  • Ground Cinnamon
I like to order my spices on Amazon Prime, and a lot of times you can find them on sale in bulk.

 Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.  Start by slicing your oranges and lemons into 1/4" slices. Place them on cookie sheets.  I reccommend using parchment paper to prevent sticking.

 


 Place them in the oven for 1 hour. Flip the slices, and bake for another hour.  If they are still too moist, flip them over and go another half hour.  Do this until they are very thin and dry.


In the meantime grab your spices and some plastic baggies.
 

I am using some pumpkin gift bags that I scored on Target clearance a few years ago.  But I have also had great luck finding fun bags on Amazon, and with prime it just makes sense.







 
Inside I will place my sandwich baggies full of spices.  Add about 5 cinnamon sticks, 3 Tablespoons of whole cloves, 2 Tablespoons of whole Allspice, 1 Tablespoon of Ground Nutmeg, and 1 Tablespoon of ground Cinnamon.



 
 



 
In a separate baggie, place your dried and cooled fruit slices.  I used 2 orange, and 3 lemon slices in each bag.



 

 
Tuck both baggies into whatever container you choose.  You could do this with any brown paper bag.  And you are done!  Now time to package.
 
I create a very simple word doc with easy directions on how to use the simmering spices.  I also grabbed some spooky kraft tags, and some dyed seam binding.

 
 

Be sure to tell your recipients what they will need to do in order to enjoy the fabulous fall aroma!
 

Once I cut the directions, I slipped them into each bag.
 

Then simple hold punch two holes into the top of the bag.
 

I tied the orange seam binding through and into a knot.  Then I tied my tags to that.
 

That's it!   These gifts will bring such joy to this spooky halloween night.  
 

I dressed up a metal basket, and these gifts are ready to head out the door with my children in the morning. 
 



Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.  

Photobucket

Be sure to check out all of the parties I link up to by clicking here.





27 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look great! I love the smell of Cinnaomon, All Spice and Oranges....Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Great idea!

Unknown said...

Great idea!!! That smells like Christmas... Now, I feel like a child!

Stopped by from a linky : http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

CraftyBridge said...

This is such a great idea!
Could you use the spices to make mulled wine? By adding red wine instead of water?
Thanks for sharing!

Bridget from craftybridge.blogspot.com

visiting from The 36th Avenue linky

shelley said...

Wow! What a wonderful gift to make and give! thank you for sharing :)

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I'm definitely making this to have for friends, family & neighbor gifts for Christmas. I usually bake something, but maybe I'll add this, too. Thanks so much for great pictures -- I could almost smell this.....yum!

Unknown said...

I love the presentation for these. Plus, I'm dreaming of how wonderful they would make my house smell! Thanks for such a great tip!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

I absolutely love this idea! I think I'm going to make up a bunch of these for Thanksgiving and have them at people's place settings as a take home!

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

What a fantastic idea! I would have loved to get something like this when I was a teacher. (I would love it now!) What a creative and original idea, Jennifer.

Thank you so much for visiting and adding your idea to the Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun Linky Party. I’m one of your co-hosts from OneCreativeMommy.com. If you linked up from one of the other co-host sites, I hope you’ll stop by my site for a visit.

Unknown said...

This is a great idea, thanks so much for sharing! Have a great weekend! :)

Jenn said...

I love this idea - I can almost smell it! It would also make a wonderful Thanksgiving hostess gift. Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. I will be featuring this tomorrow. Happy Sunday!
Jenn :)

glassbylindi.blogspot.com said...

I always loved trying to figure out the most frugal gifts for my childrens' teachers when they were in school. The teachers always appreciated the gifts because they were homemade. I am still makeing gifts for my friends(frugal still). Last year I made homemade flavored vanillas. Follow me and I will put how to make it in one of my blog postings. L

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Just wanted to let you know I included this in my link party features today!

Chrystie said...

Awesome gift! Thanks for posting it! :)

Lissa said...

Love this - what a great gift for anyone! Pinned and loved. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

Holly Lefevre said...

I am excited to make these for the holidays!!!!

Liberty said...

Great IDEA! I always use the left over orange/grapefruite peelings for my simmer stuff, i think i'll just dehydrate those for my {christmas} packets!
Blessings!
http://bit.ly/ScVFnk

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

I LOVE this idea!! I pinned it : )

petersmith said...

This is such a great idea! Pawnbrokers

Unknown said...

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Cool gifts

Unknown said...

Jennifer this is such a great idea! The spices you included make such a great scent. I love home made gifts as well - they are so much more personal! Pinning and thanks for sharing this.

Vanessa said...

This is such a fabulous gift idea!

Crystelle Boutique said...

This is such a good idea! I can understand why they were super popular a couple of years ago. Pinning!!!

:)
hugs x, Crystelle
Crystelle Boutique

Meredith @ unoriginalmom.com said...

What a great gift idea! Pinning :-) Visiting from Whatever Goes Wednesday!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

We are long-past the "kids in school" time, but these would make wonderful "neighbor, friend, DIL" gifts! Thanks so much for sharing!

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This sounds awesome! I am totally doing it this weekend to add to our Boo bags for the neighbors.

Thanks so much for sharing this at the Pinworthy Projects Party. You will be featured on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!

Unknown said...

Oh.. Such a nice idea. We can also try this in our own home. Thank you for sharing this.

|| Send Gifts to Philippines ||

Post a Comment

Living life, one thrifty adventure at a time!