Friday, January 23, 2015

DIY Upholstered Platform Bed {Fit for a Queen}

For Christmas our 9 year old asked Santa for a Queen sized bed, and as you can imagine I quickly realized what this meant.  It meant somehow I would sell her current twin sized bed, Santa would bring her Queen sized mattress (oh and she requested memory foam) and then somehow we would have a bed frame for this said mattress to go on. 
 
Well let me tell you, Santa is one amazing man, and left us with a big picture of the bed, and a delivery slip for a later date so that we had time to "prep" the room.  aka;Mom and Dad needed to build a bed.
 
 
 
While she was at her cousins house, we quickly got started making her an upholstered bed frame using this tutorial. 
 
I wont go into full detail, but I will tell you that it was such a fun and easy project.  We built the base in about 2 hours (including the fabric) and made the headboard the following day in about an hour.
 
 
 
We modified the plans and went with the less expensive 1x3's rather than the 1x4's.  We just added a few more total for added strength.
 
 
I also used regular batting, but did see that you could save some money by using egg crate pads.  I may try this next time.
 
 
We shopped around for legs and really didn't find any that would work and give it the look that we wanted.  This takes a little bit of talent, but was worth it in the end.  This is also part of the tutorial I mentioned above.
 
 
 
Here it is on the first night.  She was coming home and we wanted to make sure it was all ready for her for the night.  She was over the moon excited about her new bed!
 
 
The next day I started working on the headboard and discovered that my fabric wasn't wide enough to cover the size I needed.  So, I took three equal sections and sewed them together to create the perfect size and made it look like it was supposed to be that way.  Worked perfect, I like to call that a happy mistake.
 
 
 
I found the perfect accent color to go with her new bedding and made some buttons  for the tufts.
These are super easy to make, and they really do change the look!
 
 
I used 6 layers of batting for the headboard, and I think it turned out perfect. 
 
 
 
For a short but large project I think it turned out amazing!  I couldn't be happier.  I also used Scotch Guard to seal the fabric to hopefully give it a longer life!
 
 
Thanks so much for stopping by!  Be sure to see where I party each week by clicking here.  And be sure to follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!

Photobucket

Monday, September 22, 2014

Building Our Dream {Part 3}

Welcome back for part three of this crazy journey as we turn our house into a bigger home.  If you missed part one click here, or part two click here

I want to warn you that this is a very picture heavy post because lets face it.... how fun are these pictures anyways?  Its literally step by step how this was built.  And the faster I share these, the sooner I get to share the pretty pictures that everyone is dying to see.



If you can think back to winter of 2014 that is where we left off.  Oregon winter is full of rain..... which makes for really fun construction zones. 



This was a pretty exciting day when the Truss Co. pulled up first thing in the morning.  I remember feeling like we were soon going to have a real addition.   Oh and that mud pile.... yea that is the walkway to my front door.  So for about a month we were having to use our back door to get in and out of the house.




More Oregon rain for ya.  The white pipes are eventually going to help the ground water situation along with the sump pump that was also installed.




Once the trusses were installed they wasted no time getting the sheeting places and the tar paper laid down.  It was time to close er up!
 

This is looking at the back of our existing house from inside the addition.  I remember feeling really open to the world in the middle of winter.  It made for cold mornings and lots of hot cocoa by the fire at night.




Then came my very first design choice.... color and style of shingles.  I had NO idea how many options there were.  We went with Colonial Grey.



 Roofing materials arrived, another exciting day at our house.  It meant no worries for leaks.... remember it was full blown winter in Oregon, don't let this picture fool you!



The back of the house was first in line, then it was time to tackle the front.  This is how the front looked for a good 2 weeks.


If you notice in this picture, I have plywood windows.  Yea, pretty much awesome to look at while you are doing dishes.  


Then came the day that they cut into the front of the existing  house and one of the guys decided it was a good idea to step off of the beam..... wrong!  This is what I came home to when I opened the pantry!


Close to a skylight, but not exactly in the place I had in mind.  Oh well, no one was hurt, so we moved on.




Once the roof was on, they started framing the interior walls.  This is the first look at the new interior layout. 


They got the sheeting hung on the exterior front walls and finished the roof.  Then we moved on to hang Tyvek and install the windows.






Today I will leave you with a little before and after shot of the house and where it was just 3 months into this project.  I am so in love with how this is all coming together, and cant wait to share the fun details soon!



Thank you for stopping by!!  Be sure to check out all of the places I like to party each week by clicking here.

Photobucket