Monday, August 18, 2014

Building Our Dream {Part 2}

Adding onto your house seems simple right?  You dream up the plans, hire a contractor, and then pick out all the fun design elements?  Not even close to how this story is about to go.
 
We dreamed up the perfect layout, dreamed about what we wanted, hired a couple special trades, picked out some fun stuff and some boring stuff.... I mean really, who thinks about 1/2" or 5/8" drywall??  The contractor??  Oh yea, that would be Me and Allen and my most amazing Father.  Not what you were thinking, but I promise it has been the greatest learning experience both in DIY and in relationships.
 
I left you last with Part 1 of this journey where we broke ground.  Let's see where we've gone since then shall we? 
 
 
Once the excavation was complete this is what we were left with in the dead of winter.  A giant mud hole.  The kids loved it and truly, memories were made that will last forever.
 
 
 
 
Before they could start forming the footing and foundation that had to bring in rock, the kids thought this was great fun to watch the gravel shoot out of that hose.
 
 
Once the gravel was placed, the forms were set and it was time for concrete.  For those of you that don't personally know me, that is what I do for a living.  Ok well I am the contract administrator for the company, but concrete is our thing.
 
 
 
 
Next up was placing the floor joists and visqueen underneath. 
 
 
Once the joists were installed, the plumber came and did his rough-in.  This was a VERY exciting day for me.  I felt like we hit a big milestone.
 
 
What is the one thing you don't want when you are doing a giant construction project?  Snow?  Well this is what we woke up to!  Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but it put a halt on our projects.  And if you look across the street, our neighbor was also in the middle of replacing his sidewalk and driveway... oops!  Only in Oregon.
 
 
 
Once the snow melted we jumped right back into the project.  Starting with the decking.
 
 
 
Once the decking was placed, this large shipment showed up.  Who doesn't love fresh lumber??  I was ecstatic as I knew we would have walls very soon.  As you can see in this picture, we still have walls between the house and the addition.
 
 
This is the kitchen knock out all framed up.  Looks so small, but the space we gained is absolutely amazing!  We could only go out 5 feet and still be within code for our city.  Darn that city anyways, I wanted 6 feet!
 
 
 
 And today I will leave you with this last picture.  One wall was up and I was giddy about what I could see on one wall.  This is just a fraction of what we are gaining, but it was enough for me at the time.
 
 
 
I'm excited to share the progress from here.  It does become a little more glamorous, I promise.  Thank you for stopping by to see how this whole process has gone!!
 
Be sure to check out where I like to party each by clicking here!
 
 
Until next time friends!
Photobucket
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

An Oasis in the Desert said...

You must be so very excited, Jennifer! I absolutely do not envy you doing this in Oregon. We lived in OR many years ago and did a major renovation on our last home there. That OR weather can really slow things down. It looks like you are going to have an amazing "end result!"

KG said...

It's a lot of work but a the end you'll love the results! Good luck on your home.

Love, love, love your page!
Would you be interested in linking up your home organization or project in our online magazine?

If so, here’s the link:
http://www.touchedmagazine.com/#!organizing-your-space/cznf

XO,
KG

Post a Comment

Living life, one thrifty adventure at a time!