Monday, February 16, 2015

DIY Custom Media Built Ins

We have so many fun projects going on around our house right now, so I've decided to show you some before they are completed.
 
 
 
The back addition on our house was the main reason we built the addition at all.  The 800 Sq Ft on the back includes and new family room, laundry room (YAHOO!!) a master bedroom complete with a walk in closet and master bathroom.
 
We enlarged our laundry room by 3 feet which left us with this cove in the family room.  I knew in the long run that we would design some built ins, but didn't really how much this space would bug me until we did.
 
 
Our TV sat on this dresser and the giant thing looked so small and out of place.  Our old TV (Much smaller) used to hang above our fireplace, so we pretty much just made this work in order to use the new space.  I woke up on a day off of work, rolled over and told my amazing husband that I had an "idea". 
 
 
As any husband would, he took a deep breath and listened to what I had to say.  I pulled out my phone and went straight to Thrifty Decor Chick's blog to show him what I thought would work for our space.  He love it, and was ready to make it happen!  So off to the lumber yard and Home Depot we went!
 
 
 
Of course we used our new favorite tool, the Kreg Jig!  I'm telling you right now, run out and get one, it will change your DIY life!
 
 
We purchased 4 unfinished upper cabinets for this project, and started by building a 2x4 base for them to sit on in order to give them adequate height.
 
 
We then placed the cabinets on the base, attaching them to the wall and to each other, leveling them as we went.

 
 
The cabinets are only 12inches deep, and we needed 18 inches, so we pulled them forward those six inches and added a 2x4 rail along the back to support the counter top.
 
 
We then created a counter top using the 2x6 pine tongue and groove decking that I scored for free from the lumber yard near my office.  Doesn't get better than free!!!
 
 
Next up was stain.  We used Minwax Red Mahogany stain and applied it with a foam brush.  I did not wipe it off because I loved the dark color when I applied the first coat.
 
 
 
This is 2 coats, and I LOVE how it turned out!  Not too bad for a free counter top if you ask me!
 
 
 
 
Once the base was completed, it was time to design the top portion.  This is literally how all of my designs begin... chicken scratch on one of my kids' notebooks, sometimes even on a napkin.
 
 
Once it was all measured we got right to building.  The center of the base was left for open shelving for our TV components and some baskets.
 
 
 
We added a shelf above the TV for our sound bar.  At this time we added trim around the entire built in and built the base shelving as well. 
 
This is where I leave you.... there is still a little work to be done and I cannot wait for the final reveal.  Our future in this house hold a whole lot of painting!! 
 
 
 
 
I would say this is a much better look for this space!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thank you for stopping by to see what we've been up to!  Please be sure to follow me on Pinterest and Facebook, and head over here to see where I like to party each week!
 
I hope you have a fantastic DIY day!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Living life, one thrifty adventure at a time!