Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DIY Chalk Paint {Nightstand Makeover}

 
Are you picturing a nightstand adorned with white chalky scribbles?  Well look again, because believe it or not, Chalk Paint is NOT the same as Chalkboard paint!




"Chalk paint" is the one of the biggest raves in the blog world right now.  It creates an AMAZING finish, and is the most user friendly paint on the market.  However, it can be p-r-i-c-e-y!  And by pricey, I mean to the tune of $38 per QUART.  Not gallon folks, QUART!!  Say what?  

So whats a thrifty chick to do?  Knock Off time baby!  I looked and looked online for recipes, and this particular one seemed the easiest, plus I had everything on hand!

For this you will need:

Latex Paint (flat works best, but any will work) 
(I used a 50 cent jar of oops paint)
Baking Soda
Water
Paint Brush
Mixing Bowl, or cup (nothing nice)


And of course, a fabulous piece of furniture to makeover.  I started with this beauty.....

She was originally picked up to be re-done to go into the Star Wars room.  I loved the legs and the fun galactic looking handle!  She had a few dings, but for $2.50 she was PERFECT!!

A while ago I stumbled across these ball feet at another thrift store for $2, and grabbed them thinking I would have a use for them some day... and look 2 years later I DO!   I knew these would help turn this nightstand into a more girly piece.

Onto the fun......

Step 1)  Mix 2 Parts paint to 1 Part baking soda.  (I used 2/3cup Paint & 1/3cup Baking Soda)

Step 2) Add about 2 tablespoons of water, and mix thoroughly until the baking soda is no longer chunky.  Add water by the tablespoon until you have a pancake batter consistency.

Step3)   PAINT!!  In no certain fashion.  I let Gabi take this over, and she loved it.  Just watch for drips, those are no fun!


This will not be something everyone does, but in order to paint the new feet, I screwed in some extra long screws laying around so that I could use them as a handle.  It worked like a charm!



Step 4) After the first coat has dried, apply a second coat.

Step 5) After the second coat has dried, lightly sand the entire piece, using 220grit sand paper.  This will ensure a smooth finish.  The paint will literally fall off like chalk.  It creates little to no mess.


Step 6)  Once you have sanded the whole piece, you may then start to distress to your liking.


Step 7)  Once you are done sanding and distressing, wipe down the entire piece to remove all dust particles.   Then using a rag apply an even coat of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.


 
You can get the wax on Amazon here:
 
 
 

Step 8) Let the wax dry for at least 15 minutes, and then using a new rag, buff the waxed area to create the desired finish.  If you think it needs more wax, ad it at this time, and then continue to buff after another 15 minutes.


Let the piece cure for a good 24 hours before using.  

Here are some pictures of the finished product!  We LOVE it!!








Thank you to my readers for stopping by today.   Don't forget to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest, and you can find me on Instagram, Twitter and Periscope @OneThriftyChick.


Photobucket

Come Join me weekly at the following Parties:
 
                Mad in Crafts
Wednesday: Gingersnap Crafts,

 

48 comments:

Live Laugh Rowe said...

LOVE THIS!!! I'm wanting to try my own DIY Chalk Paint too. The nightstand turned out lovely. Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Awesome tip! I have a few pieces around the house that are begging for a paint job.

Visiting from Home Happy HOme, hope you'll stop by my blog too. :)

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Hi I'm Amanda said...

Looks great momma!

Whim-Z B said...

This is fantastic!! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic transformation. I love the addition the feet make. Great job!

MzNadine420 said...

that is awesome!!

Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

Very cool! I've been wanting to try out the chalk paint!! Too cool!! Could you please add my button to your link parties for SHOW US YOUR FIND so I can pin you and show your project off! xoxo

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love it, it turned out so neat! I've made the homemade chalkpaint only used Plaster of Paris, seems the baking soda would be smoother. I'll have to try it, love the ball feet too!

Visiting from Thrifty Thursday!

Ange said...

Looks great! I love a thrifty makeover! I am itching to try some chalk paint, hoping to find a piece of furniture at a garage sale tomorrow to be my next victim. Thanks for inspiring!

Amy Fountain said...

Lovely piece! It looks very chic.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have a dresser I plan to paint. Now I know how I will do it.

Richella Parham said...

This looks great! I'd not heard this method for making DIY chalky paint. Your piece looks really cool.

By the way, I just learned that the term "chalk paint" is a registered trademark of Annie Sloan. I had no idea! I'm guessing it must be a pretty special product, but you're right--it is pretty pricey. You've achieved a lovely look for yourself here; way to go!

Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home!

Jennifer said...

So sweet The color is pretty and fresh!

Krystle @ Color Transformed Family said...

That looks great. I hardly recognize it from the original piece. I DIYed some chalk paint last month. The formula was different but still a lot cheaper than the store brands. I'm like you, I can't spend $38 on a quart of paint!

http://www.colortransformedfamily.com/2012/03/14/instant-family-heirloom/

Unknown said...

Super cute, thank you for linking up to Whip it up Wednesday! :)

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Thanks so much for the recipe- I haven't come across one using baking soda. Will have to give this a try. Your little cabinet is adorable, and kudos to you for letting your little one paint.

Cynthia said...

Oh that turned out great! I love the color, and I love how you switched out the legs... those new ones are waaaaay cuter!

Unknown said...

Love it! I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for linking up at Whimsy Wednesday!
Amy@homehappyhome

Melissa said...

Love, love, love! I will be pinning this and I WILL be trying it out...SOON! Thanks for linking up!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Great great great transformation. Love how you roughed up the edges. Thanks for sharing!

Comeca Jones said...

I love it!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! That looks fanTAStic...like a whole new piece of furniture!! Thanks so much for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

Lori said...

That looks great, and I'm glad you mentioned the "chalk paint" thing, cause' I call my DIY paint that too...oops! So glad I found your blog and all your fabulous ideas. I'm a new follower, and I would love if you stopped by for a visit and follow too if your not. Have a creative week, Lori

Claudine from ReStory.ca said...

WOW!!! I am IMPRESSED.
I love ASCP, but here in Canada, with taxes, costs $55 a quart... Seriously... Today I painted a big chest and it took about a third of a can, the paint kept soaking in...
So this is great, at least to use some left over paint we might have, right?
Thank you for sharing!

Rose Jesky said...

Looks awesome! good job. Thanks for sharing this with us at The Sunday Round Up.
Rose
@ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

Becca @ The Sassy Penguin said...

This is so wonderful, glad you found something to use the legs on- they fit perfect. I have two end tables I picked up and I'm dying to try some chalky paint on them!

Sara said...

So fun and pretty!! Hope you can link this up to my turquoise lovin' party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

Decor & Harmony said...

very nice I love the color, FYI you are a no-reply blogger
:( I have a link on my blog if you want to check it out.....I'm also your newest follower!!

Cristy @ Art•ing Shed•quarters said...

Those are the cutest bun feet! What a find! Its adorable, I'd love to see the Star Wars room!

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

Your chalky painted piece is beautiful! I am so love with that color! Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

Trish

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Very pretty! Love the color and great tips! I am a new follower!
Hope you have a great day!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.com

Froggie said...

Wow, really pretty. Love it!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know I am featuring this today and pinning you on Pinterest. Come on over and grab a button!
Amy@homehappyhome

Stuff-n-Such By Lisa said...

Fab job on this makeover! I just love the color...so beautiful! I am also happy to learn the trick of how to make this "chalky" paint...I have to try it!
Had to "Pin" this one!
Really love your blog!
Lisa H.
lisastuf.blogspot.com

pjhjeanne said...

Just a quick question. Have any of you who have used the DYI paint used Annie Sloan Chalk paint before? Can you tell me how it compares? I know with ASCP you don't have to sand or strip before painting, just wondering if this works the same?

Jazz said...

Girl, be glad you're in the US. I found ASCP here in Montreal for $49.95. Ouch

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

This is over-the-moon adorable! Thank you for the "chalk" paint description. I've seen it all over blog land and wondered what the fuss was all about :) I'll try your recipe and see. The price works for me!

Pink Cricut said...

Love the color! Love your 'chalky' paint-- I had no idea it was trademarked!

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

Really cute makeover! I'm so glad you let your daughter help you with your projects. She's going to be on confident young lady one day!

Thanks for sharing it on the DIY Talent parade! Wheee!

Denise C said...

Apparently, someone representing Annie Sloan is giving the impression that they have a trademark on the words, "Chalk Paint". Not true. A.S. has trademarked her logo with Chalk Paint in all capital letters. Her chalk paint logo has a distinctive chalky looking font. She does not have exclusive rights to those words, even though people are being contacted all over with the implication no one else can use the words chalk paint. Oh yes they can!

You can Google trademarks and look up her trademark description. You can also go to the US Gov trademark site to see more information, though the search is much trickier.

In a nutshell, the description of the A.S. trademark is -
Description of Mark - The mark consists of stylized terms "CHALK PAINT" in all capital letters.

Christine said...

Awesome! I love the minwax dark wax. Which makes your piece look like you glazed it too.
can be purchased at ace hardware.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Thank you for this post. Every "chalky" paint recipe I find has grout or plaster of Paris. Thank you thank you thank you.

Michele (mitchygitchygoomy) said...

You know how a link leads to a link, leads to another link:)...that's how I found you and your wonderful paint recipe and adorable project. It is almost impossible to locate and get ASCP or CeCe Williams in my neck of the Canadian woods:)!! What's a girl to do?!! Now I know. Thanks so much for sharing.

Pamela said...

I just googled the trademark thing and the trade mark is NOT on the words chalk paint but how it is used. You can not use it in all capital letters. http://trademarks.justia.com/854/08/chalk-paint-85408522.html

Jodi said...

I have been taking a loooooong time to make a decision on the direction I should go in a DIY chalk paint project. Thank you for posting this - I'm going to paint my Craigs List dresser today using your recipe!! :)

Jodi said...

So, I painted my dresser and for the most part, I am happy, but I'm not getting a very shiny look even with a couple of coats of the wax. Any thoughts?

Glyn and Els said...

Nice post :) chalk paint giveaway...
Details are here! http://www.facebook.com/SplashOfCharm

JUDE3944 said...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PAINT RECIPE I'LL HAVE TO TRY. LOVE YOUR COLOR AND YOUR KITCHEN IS AMAZING ENJOY IT

Post a Comment

Living life, one thrifty adventure at a time!