Tuesday, July 10, 2012

DIY Rustic Fence Backdrop {Tutorial}

 
Another ARMY post, are you tired of them yet?
When I was planning the design I knew I was going to need a backdrop of some sort.  I started racking my brain. 

I thought about burlap, then chain link fence, and then it hit me.  Use the old fence boards stacked on the side of the house!


IMG_1319

It was just what I was wanting.  So I started gathering supplies and put them on the deck where I planned on building my wall.

I used about 18 fence boards, 2 furring strips, and a bunch of wood screws. 

 The boards were all super gross and dirty, and some started breaking as I screwed them in.  But to me this adds character.

photo-22


I laid my furring strips parallel on the deck, and used a 2x4 along the bottom to insure a straight edge.  Then I just started screwing them on.  Each board took 2 screws.


photo-23

Here it is all put together.


photo-1

Once it was all put together, I sprayed it down with the hose, and started scrubbing to wash off some of the gunk.


photo-20



photo-2

Once I finished, I propped it up against my garden fence to dry.  I left it there for about 2 days.  It was nice and dry, and ready to use!


photo-21

It was exactly what I wanted!  Now that the party is over, I have this fence panel sitting in my back yard. 

I know I will come up with something to use it on, but for now, it’s part of the kids’ fort.


IMG_1329

Thanks for stopping by!  Be sure and check out all of the places I like to link up to by clicking here.

4 comments:

Meaningful Mama said...

This is so cool looking. What a great back drop.

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

This is an awesome tutorial! Just shared on our FB page! Have a great weekend!

Take care,

Trish

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! It would work great for so many different parties. I want one now... ha!

Unknown said...

It's so beautiful back drop and I am so glad to have it as Tutorial. I loved all the pics with every step. I would love to try for my place too as I recently got calgary deck and I hope can match others by your idea.

Post a Comment

Living life, one thrifty adventure at a time!